NTR's Power Skating program is designed for children ages 6 and up. This program is for players who want to further enhance their hockey ability. Players will be taught at a high level and focusing on advanced techniques, balance, stride and recovery, edge control an agility. This program is not at the learn to skate level. Players must have received formal skating instruction and graduated from a learn to skate program prior to enrolling in these programs. Please find the minimum skill requirements listed below for each level.
Power Skating Level 1:
- Parallel stopping (both left and right)
- 1 foot gliding in a straight line (both feet, forwards and backwards)
- 1 foot gliding on a curve (both feet, inside and outside edges)
- Forward to backward pivot turn (both left and right)
- Backward skating with proper technique and adequate speed
Power Skating Level 2:
- Must be able to parallel stop with both feet, followed by a fast crossover start
- Must be able to skate backwards with speed, glide with control on 1 foot (both right and left)
- Must be able to skate backwards on a curve, glide with control on 1 foot (both inside and outside edges)
- Forward crossovers with proper technique
- Proper technique for tight turns with speed and control
- Left and right pivots with speed and control
- Knowledge with backwards crossovers
- Each class is approximately 1 hour long, with a guaranteed smaller class size and adequate student to instructor ratio.
- All skaters are required to wear a CSA approved hockey helmet with a full facial mask. As well they must be wearing full hockey equipment. Please remember the neck guard, jersey and socks. They will need a hockey stick as well.
- A NTR staff has the right to move your child to another class if they feel the program is more appropriate for them.